Friday 16 March 2012

Gaajar ka Halwa (Carrot Dessert)

"Gaajar ka Halwa" or "Carrot Dessert" is one of North India's most popular desserts.
I love it since my childhood, and nothing compares to the Gaajar Halwa made by my Mom.I learnt this dish from her.The first time I cooked this independently was while I was in Frankfurt, taking instructions from my Mom over the phone. And my friends there really enjoyed this dessert.
I know lot of friends love it but think its lot of effort, but try making it my way, its both easy and tasty.

Serves 3

Ingredients :

Carrot - 8 carrots - medium sized
( you can also buy grated carrot from the supermarket)
Sugar - 3 tbsp
Ghee or Clarified butter - 3 tbsp
Green cardamom crushed - 1 tsp
Pistachios or Pista lightly crushed - 5
Raisins or dry grapes - 10
Almonds or Badam - 5
Any other preferred dry fruit or nut - 5 
( I have used hazel nut)
Milk - 1 cup

Method :
Wash and grate the carrots.
Put the grated carrots in a large vessel along with the milk and cook in cooker for 1 whistle.
Switch off the gas soon after the 1st whistle.
If you do not have a cooker, you can also keep the vessel directly on the stove, but you need to keep stirring continuously to avoid the milk from spilling out.
Allow to cool for 15-30 mins.
Meanwhile, fry all the dry fruits and nuts in 1 tsp ghee or butter till they become crispy.

Now take a heavy bottomed pan, pour the cooked grated carrots along with the milk into the pan.
Add the sugar and ghee and cook for 10 mins on high flame stirring continuously till the milk gets absorbed/invisible.
Now add the crushed cardmom and mix well.
Add half the quantity of nuts and mix well.
Now lower the heat, and stir continously till the carrots looks glazy and shiny around 15-20 mins approx.

Garnish with the remaining dry fruits n nuts.
Carrot Halwa or Carrot Dessert is ready.

3 comments:

Search my blog