Friday 7 September 2012

Shark fry or "Mori thallale" in Konkani


"Shark fry" or "Mori thallale" is a very old konkani delicacy.
I remember my mom making this along with fish curry and rice during my childhood. However its not easy to find this fish in Fish-Markets/Supermarkets in Bangalore.
Today when I went "fish shopping", I happened to bump into this fish at the fish Market and I immediately bought one. 
And made this very simple fried side dish but really yum!


Serves 3
Ingredients:
Shark fish slices - 8
Red chilly powder - 2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp (Optional)
Salt - 1 tsp
Asafoetida/hing - 1/2 tsp
Tamarind juice - 1 tbsp
Rice flour - 2 tbsp
Oil for shallow or deep frying
Onion slices and lemon wedges for serving

Method:
Wash the fish slices well.
Make a thick paste of red chilly powder, coriander powder, salt, hing and tamarind juice.
Apply evenly to the fish slices and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for atleast 1 hour.
Take a heavy bottomed frying pan, add oil, keep on medium heat.
Now coat each fish piece/slice with rice flour and deep fry them in the oil.
You could also shallow fry if desired.
Serve hot with onions slices and lemon wedges/slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search my blog