Wednesday 3 October 2012

Raw Jackfruit fritters or "Kadgi Phodi" - A Konkani delicacy


"Kadgi Phodi" or "Raw Jackfruit fritters" is another Konkani delicacy which I love. 
Raw Jackfruit is known as "Kadgi" in Konkani and "Kathal" in Hindi.
I normally make these on festivals when I can indulge in fried food without feeling guilty of having them.
Yesterday when I went to the market, I found some really tender raw jackfruit and I bought it. Since the jakfruit I bought was very raw, tender and small I decided to make "Kadgi Phodi" in Konkani style.
Usually the bigger raw jackfruits are only good for curries like "Kadgi Chakko" or "Kadgi Ghashi".
Cutting a raw jackfruit is really not difficult.
I have explained the cutting procedure in the recipe.
I know lot of people, hesitate to buy jackfruit since they feel its difficult to de-skin and cut it. But trust me 1 attempt and then you will realize that its easy and worth it, since all the dishes made from raw jackfruit are really yummy.!
Do make my other 2 dishes "Kadgi Chakko" or "Kadgi Ghashi", you will love them too!


Ingredients:
Raw Jackfruit slices - 10
Red chilly powder - 2 tsp
Tamarind juice - 2 tsp (Optional)
Asafoetida/Hing - 1 tsp(Optional)
Salt - 1 tsp
Rice flour - 2 tbsp
Oil -for frying

Method:

Cut the whole raw jackfruit into halves first then into quarters with a sharp knife. Keep on paper towel. Allow the sticky juice to come out and wipe it clean with another paper towel dipped in a little oil. Now remove the skin using the knife and finally slice them as thin as you can.
At the end of the slicing, your hands and the knife will be sticky, you can apply oil to your hands and then wash it off with soap.



Make a thick paste of Red chilly powder, tamarind juice, asafoetida and salt.
Marinate the raw jackfruit slices using this paste and allow to sit for some time.



For frying, take a deep frying pan, add oil , keep on low heat , lightly coat the marinated raw jackfruit pieces with rice flour powder, dust off any excess flour.
Deep fry 2-3 at a time for 3-5 minutes until the raw jackfruit are well cooked.
Drain on absorbent paper.
Serve hot with Rice and Dalithoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search my blog