Friday 21 December 2012

Dill Vada


Here is the perfect evening snack for winter...
What better way to start the holiday season, than with some hot vadas and tea...
I had some Dill leaves, so thought of making these vadas or deep fried snack....
Dill leaves are called as "Sabsige Soppu" in Kannada, and I was first introduced to this herb in Hassan during my engineering days.
There were several dishes which were made with Dill, like "Sabsige soppina saaru" or "Dill Dal", "Sabsige soppina Chitranna" or "Dill rice" etc, but I loved these vadas the most.
I always thought that this herb was native to that region, since I had never eaten or seen them in Mangalore.
Its only after I started working, and then traveled the world, I got to know that "Dill leaves" are used in various other cuisines like South American, Persian cuisine etc.


Makes 15 vadas
Ingredients:
Split Chickpeas - 1 cup
Dill leaves - 1 bunch (stems removed as far as possible)
Green chillies - 2 - finely chopped
Ginger - 1 inch finely chopped
Salt
Corn flour/Gram flour - only if required

Method:
Wash the split chickpeas and soak in water for about 2 hours.
Now drain all the water and grind to a coarse paste, make sure a few split chickpeas still are not crushed.
Now transfer the paste to a bowl.


Add the chopped green chilies, ginger and dill leaves to this chickpeas paste and mix well.
Add salt as required.
If the batter is too moist, add a little bit of corn flour or gram flour.
Now divide into 12-15 equal portions, shape into slightly flat round balls, and deep fry in hot oil till golden.
Serve hot with Mint and Coriander Chutney or Tomato Ketchup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search my blog