Sunday 20 July 2014

'Prawn Koliwada' - A Mumbai Street seafood



"Prawn Koliwada", is a lovely prawn starter very famous in Mumbai.
During my childhood I used to love these made by my grand aunt but over the years I almost forgot about them.
Recently I went to this sea food restaurant in Bangalore which is a very famous Mumbai sea food restaurant chain. And there we ordered the day's special "Prawn Koliwada"
While eating these yummy prawns I was reminded of my childhood mumbai holidays....the way me and my dad used to gorge on these lovely prawns...is a memory i will cherish for a lifetime...
Back home after this dinner, I was going thru my granny's hand written cookbook once again, finally found this lovely recipe...
I know its been a while since I posted any dish, but the last month has really been hectic...office work, house work, exams, festivals, parties....

Am sure you will forget my long absence once you cook and eat this one...so here goes....


Ingredients:
Prawns - peeled and deveined - 20
Gram flour - 1/2 cup
Cumin powder - roasted - 1/2 tsps
Red chilli powder - 2 tsps
Ginger Garlic paste - 2 tablespoona
Curds/Yogurt - 2 tablespoon
Oil for deep-frying
Salt to taste
Chaat masala - 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice - 2 tablespoons

Method:
Clean and devein the prawns.
Take a large bowl, make a thick batter with the gram flour, roasted cumin powder, chilli powder, salt, ginger garlic paste, yogurt and two tablespoons of water.
Marinate the prawns in the batter for half an hour. 

Heat the oil in a kadai and deep-fry the prawns till crisp on the outside. 

Serve hot, sprinkled with chaat masala and lemon juice and with mint chutney if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search my blog